After the success of the two held last year, we are planning on a Stream Crossing Boot Camp for late July this year. This Boot Camp is for Conservation District staff and will cover a wide variety of topics related to stream crossing replacements through the DGLVR Program. We have had to make some modifications to traditional three-day class/field format to maximize safety, namely it will be a hybrid of remote “class time” and a single full day of field visits.
- Audience: CD staff replacing stream crossings through the DGLVR Program
- Classroom and Field Details
- Class Topics: A wide variety of topics from policy, to planning, to implementation of DGLVR stream crossing projects will be covered.
- Field Topics: The “main event” will be the active installation of a 11’ bottomless arch pipe on precast concrete footers. We will also visit other previously completed projects, potential projects, and conduct some basic stream surveying exercises.
- Field Event Logistics: Please register for 1 session of Day 2. We will meet at the parking lot of Lake Perez, Shavers Creek, Huntingdon County. Penn State Blue Bus will provide transportation to active site. Limited to 10 attendees at a time.
- Class Follow-up: Provided by live Zoom, follow-up, more details, demo project update, closeout, not mandatory.
- Capacity: Size is limited to 20 attendees, 10 each day for the field day (split because of travel logistics due to virus, you must attend the 7/21 remote training and you must attend one field day).
- **Safety Equipment Required: Masks, hard hat, steel-toed boots, rubber/Muck Boots, work gloves, safety vests (we will have some), eye protection, and work attire for all types of weather, bug repellent.
- Format and Schedule: This will be a “hybrid” boot camp, with remote classes and one full day in the field.
- Tue 7/21: (9-12:30) ~3-4 hour live training via Zoom for 20 attendees - intro
- Tue 7/28: in-person full day (9-4) in field in Shavers Creek area for 10 attendees
- Wed 7/29: in-person full day (9-4) in field in Shavers Creek area for other 10 attendees
- Thr 7/30: in-person if needed – reserved as a rain date for either field day
- Tue 8/11: (9-11:30) ~2-3 hour live training via Zoom for 20 attendees – follow-up, more details, demo project update, closeout Not mandatory.
- Registration: Link at the bottom of this page.
- Agenda (233 KB): Draft agenda.
- Information (414 KB): Informational flyer
- Classroom Sessions (MS Powerpoint Downloads)
- Session 1: Introduction (6.81 MB)
- Session 2: Survey Basics (4.26 MB)
- Session 3: Bankfull (36.1 MB)
- Session 4: Stream Crossing Replacement Policy/District Process/Grant Application (3.85 MB)
- Session 5: Longitudinal Profile Survey for Successful Culvert Replacement (9.74 MB)
- Session 6: Permitting (17.8 MB)
- Session 7: Grade Control (10.1 MB)
- Session 8: Baffles (5.23 MB)
- Session 9: Geomorphic Assessment Worksheet (610 KB)
Scare Pond Road Pipe Installation
Shaver Creek Road Pipe Installation (Upstream)
Shaver Creek Road Pipe Installation (Downstream)
These sessions are free to Conservation Districts and DEP staff, although registration is required to make sure we have adequate space and lunches. If you have any questions please call Kathy Moir at 814-865-5355 for registration assistance.